About this project
Heathrow is the UK’s premier international airport. From here, some 80 airlines fly direct to over 180 destinations worldwide. Heathrow Airport Holdings Limited (formerly BAA) owns and runs London Heathrow Airport, Britain’s aviation hub.
Heathrow Airport Holdings Limited is in turn owned by FGP Topco Limited, a consortium owned and led by the infrastructure specialist Ferrovial S.A. (25.00%), Qatar Holding LLC (20.00%), Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (12.62%), the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (11.20%), Alinda Capital Partners (11.18%), China Investment Corporation (10.00%) and Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) (10.00%)
The company is subject to financial regulation by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA). In matters of safety and security BAA is regulated by the Government and CAA.
A core element of BAA’s strategy was to ensure that Heathrow Airport’s vision “To be Europe’s hub of choice by making every journey better” is enabled through transformational change.
To support this strategy BAA has initiated a number of activity streams to simplify the business, raise professional standards, increase personal accountability and reduce cost. In order to achieve this, BAA invested in people, processes and technology changes across the organisation and a major programme for BAA’s Capital Directorate, which was managed within a business process change project known as “BAA Re-Engineering”. The drive for continuous improvement also enabled a review of the Capital and IT Directorate’s expenditure, and its governance; which created an opportunity for an upgrade of the current Programme Controls toolset used within BAA for Heathrow Airport projects.
The Programme Controls (PgC) Project was initiated to address this requirement by delivering a Programme Controls toolset based on Primavera software applications on to a hosted platform provided and managed by Oracle on Demand in the USA.
- BAA aimed to replace the existing cost (Artemis) and schedule system Primavera (P6.2) to EPPM (P6) in order to have the scheduling and cost view in one system.
- Project requires data analysis, transformation, business analysis, developing data mock up, testing scripts and end-to-end process evaluation.
- Development, specification, testing and migration and archival of data from legacy system on to new ERP (Primavera 6.2)
- Divide project into three tranches
- Tranche 1
- Live data migration (Cost, schedule) using business rules using PL/SQL.
- Data Cleanse during data migration
- DQ report after each load
- Worked closely with 3rd parties to develop a Java based app to perform data migration from legacy P6 to EPPM using P6 APIs
- Tranche 2
- Migration of legacy data from Excel to Oracle Database
- Working 3rd part to capture MI/KPI for BAA directorate and contract/sub-contractor.
- Build P6 extended schemes and develop OBIEE 10g to develop RTF based report
- Tranche 1
- Lead Business Analysis to define the end to end process for cost and schedule data migration into Oracle 10g database.
- Gather the business requirements to have the clear business rules to extract transform and load data in EPPM.
- Work closely with BAA Capital Delivery to capture business rules for data migration and fortnightly reporting requirement.
- Lead Data analysis to perform the data cleansing using PL/SQL and VBA.
- Develop SQL*Loader to load the legacy data on to the staging area.
- Develop PL/SQL code to transform the legacy data using PL/SQL and Unix
- Played critical role during development of test script to make sure data migrate without minimal errors
- ETL functions to load the legacy data and then transform and load the data into the new system EPPM using various APIs and SQL*Loader.
- Developed the system and unit test scripts in Mercury/HP QC.
- Database design for dev and test environment for data staging to perform development, transformation and testing.
- Loading the data from various sources into the test and dev environment for transformation and loading into ERP (EPPM/Primavera 6) using Java.
- Design and construction of archival solution with front end tool as excel with integrated VBA/SQL.
- Modified existing Data migration java standalone application code to meet the business requirement to move the data from the staging area on to EPPM (Primavera 6)
- Developed Loader in Java to migrate the data from staging Oracle Staging area to P6 (EPPM) using primavera java APIs.
- Worked closely with 3rd parties to capture key EPPM fields in P6 extended schemas.
- Played critical role for various key reports development e.g. CPI, SPI, project slippage.
During this project we used following Technologies:
- Oracle (SQL/PL-SQL)11g,
- OBIEE 11g
- P6 API
- Mercury/HP QC,