About this project
National Grid plc is a British multinational electricity and gas utility company headquartered in Warwick, United Kingdom. Its principal activities are in the United Kingdom and Northeastern United States.
National Grid has a primary listing on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. It had a market capitalisation of approximately £40.4 billion on 23 September 2016, the 20th-largest of any company with a primary listing on the London Stock Exchange. It has a secondary listing on the New York Stock Exchange
Project Controls has been instituted in National Grid to provide near real-time performance measurement and reporting for projects in flight/4.2/4.2/ETAM to tackle a historic ‘blindness’ to performance under Alliance contracts while also allowing the business to use the same data to generate consistent project, delivery unit and portfolio reporting. In the past, National Grid method of managing project delivery has driven a common scenario where the overall position of an investment is only understood after the fact, frequently provoking a post-completion re-sanction.
To support this strategy Project Controls has initiated a number of activity streams to simplify the reporting process, raise professional standards, and reduce cost. In order to achieve this, Project Controls is investing in people, processes and technology changes across the department. A major reporting programme development is contributing toward this strategy. In order to support this programme there is a requirement to upgrade the current reporting toolset used within Project Controls.
Above project was divided into various waves to keep the BAU disruption minimal
- Infrastructure in house /Wave 1– First wave was to bring all outsourced physical servers into the National Grid own premises to reduce overheads and have better asset management and regulatory requirements.
- Robust Reporting Solution/2nd Wave: As part of the Reporting solution, National Grid is aiming to develop Datamart, Business Intelligence Publisher (BIP) and Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition 11g (OBIEE) reporting suite for key stakeholders via stitching various scattered databases across various departments.
- Alerts/Trends/3rd Wave: Provides analysis, dashboard capability, slice and dice and data security to make sure National Grid is OFGEM compliant.
- Data Integration 4th Wave: National Grid aim to have centralised DWH for cost (COBRA), schedule (Primavera P6), Risk (@Risk) and Assets Management (Ellipse) in one centralised location.
- Data Integration 5th Wave: Load all existing Ofgem RIIO submission in one centralised database to slice and dice data and better understanding of asset delivery and cost.
I am a leading consultant for National Grid Capital Delivery for OBIEE/DWH/BIP Designing, development, and installation, reverse engineer existing excel/access based source into one centralised Oracle database.
I managed the whole delivery from planning to end product for NG capital delivery leadership. I played critical role for the success of Capital Delivery reporting solution and stitching all scattered data sources. My critical involvement in each delivery lead to cut people and process waste and save millions and better visibility of project/portfolio’s performance.